Friday, June 21, 2013

Say what you mean and mean what you say

In this fast paced world, we are very quickly judged by others.
One word might cause you way more than you thought it would.
So lemme share with you a few cases which happened around me.
*names or exact details are altered for story telling purpose*

I had a friend, Sally, who is really confident. She would be very determined and strong when making commitments.
These are her words along the line "I don't care what people say, I will surely pass this test with flying colors"
But in the end, she did not put real effort in it. She sit around in the library playing with her handphone, thinking that maybe next time she will try better.
Where a commitment is made, and no effort is put in, people would look at her and ask her, 'why are you not studying', she would then reply 'it's non of your business, stay off'.

Another story would be Mary, she would so contented that she would lose weight, she told everyone, I am going to be successful by the end of this month.
She started out good, where she would exercise and diet.
In the end, she craved and eat like nobody's business.
The worst part is, she believed that she is looking slimmer where the actual weigh states otherwise.
She gets angry when others ask her about it and kindda cheats herself that she is slim.

Why share these stories? Well, the core of the story lies in one of my own experience.
I was once a leader in an organization back in school then.
I was visionary, stating to others that I would like to bring change and betterment.
But I wasn't able to fulfill my commitment and I was being blamed at.
Then I had a few deep chats with my close buddies, who told me that I gotto just accept the fact and move on.
It was hard, moving from a bad image to gain trust, but I did try my best.
Whether or not it works out, I dare not say, but I think I manage to change myself for the better.
Now that I think back, this actually inspired me and educated me.

While all stories share the moral value of words should be honored, I think we should learn to be careful with words.
I myself am still learning how to talk skillfully without trapping myself in my own words/commitments.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should be cowards and stop making promises or commitments at all.
But I am saying that when you say something, you have to at least try to do it.
When all fails, be a gentleman/woman, admit that you failed and try again.
It's not easy learning to admit defeat, but sometimes we just gotto put our pride aside and do what's best for ourselves.


I wish everyone a good day and say what you mean and mean what you say.



JCG

No comments: